Friday, July 3, 2009

Kelpie/ Greyhound cross waiting at the St Kilda Sea Baths

Charlie is a Greyhound /Kelpie cross. This is what his owner was told when he found him at the Lort Smith Animal Hospital. His new owner believes that this must be the case, but he finds it an odd combination.
Charlie's eyes are unusual. Are they Greyhound or Kelpie eyes? I don't know either of the breeds well enough to know but I find them a little disconcerting.
Charlie likes to engage with other dogs and is keen on a good bark when he is in their company. He was being extremely well behave at the St Kilda Sea Baths.

His owner said that he fell on his feet when they found him. They love him and are trying to teach him not bark every time he feels the urge.

I wonder if the look in his eye is one of anxiety? Perhaps it is just the way he views the world - from piercing eyes.

2 comments:

wonder dog rescue said...

I see greyhound in the sweetie's face and head... hard to tell from the body, as he (she?) is sitting.

About nervous dogs.... I have learned a few good tricks.. animals are much more inclined to benefit from holistic therapy than their human (cynical) counterparts.... Thus said, putting vanilla in the drinking water will help to calm a dog... use REAL vanilla, just a few drops in the bowl.... You can also use the Bach Floral Essences, especially Rescue Remedy. They now make one for animals, and I believe it is alcohol free. You can put rescue remedy in the water dish, right into the dog's mouth... or put a few drops on the ear.....

My favorite is Lavender oil. You can get a small bottle for several dollars.... Take a drop of lavender oil on your fingertip, and run it down the top of the dog's head, back of the neck... I go from the crown of the head right down the spine.... the dog will calm..... this is especially useful if you are trying to desensitize a dog to fear ful situations. I dont usually visit this board, but please feel free to email me if you ever have questions... linda@wonderdogrescue.org

Em said...

Hi Linda
Thank you for dropping by and your knowledge of greyhounds.
Also thank you for your information on calming stressed dogs. I love the idea of the herbs and for some reason I didn't think of them myself. I hope they help dog owners who read your wonderful comment.
Em