Saturday, December 29, 2007

Jack Russell/ Pomeranian X coping with old age

.



I fell in love with Rex when I saw him wandering slowly along the footpath. My mind flashed back to another time when my dog Goldie was near the end of her life. Every evening she and I made our way slowly along the streets where she had once bounced and played.

Seventeen year old Rex follows his owner who shows the same patience I did.

You need time and the ability to stop and gaze and to wait when you walk such an old dog. Waiting is a big part of it.

Rex is a Jack Russell /Pomeranian X and has a funny sort of bent tail which I understand is part of the Pomeranian side. He’s partially blind and deaf and is a little nervous if any thing happens too quickly. He jumped when I came up and wasn’t sure where to look.

He was eager to head for home and waited anxiously while his owner and I talked. . He didn’t really want his photo taken and didn’t quite realize he should be looking at the camera or at me. He was pointed to home and as soon as he could, he started off again, wagged his funny bent tail and he walked his nose right out of the photo.

Happy 2008, Rex.


No comments: