Saturday, May 30, 2009

Chinese Crested Dog in Richmond Melbourne

Chinese Crested dogs are rare on the Melbourne dog scene. This is the first time I have seen one and I was fascinated.This Chinese Crested was in a sunny window of the Retrovision Store in Richmond.

I wasn't the only one who stopped to admire and study him. A crowd gathered. He didn’t stay in the window long. It was as if he was embarrassed because he soon headed for the rear of the store and out of sight.

The sun was shining when this fellow was out but I can believe that they must feel the cold and with winter upon us the Chinese Crested dogs would have to be cosseted. I read also that their skin can sunburned just like a human’s skin and therefore owners have to take care not to have their dogs in the sun too long without sun screen.



My only worry about this poppet was that he kept scratching as you can see by the photo. I wondered if his ears were itchy. When he wasn't scratching he looked very alert and intellegent.


3 comments:

pudelflicka said...

Chinese Crested dogs are cute and I love that dog.
Hedvig

Mat Jones said...

Chinese Cresteds are an amazing breed. I work with Wonder Dog Rescue here in San Francisco, and have fostered several Cresteds over the past 6 months. They are sweet loving dogs who love to snuggle with you under the blankets. They do get cold easily and do require sunscreen.
Here's one of the fellows we fostered: Image

Em said...

Hi Mat - what a cutie. He looks very cuddly in that. Em